The European Union Physical Activity and Sport Monitoring System (EUPASMOS) is a project jointly funded by the European Commission, through the Erasmus+ Sport grant for Collaborative Partnerships, and participating European Union Member States. The project will run between 2018 and 2020.
The aim of the EUPASMOS project is to implement a harmonized physical activity and sport monitoring system, through the development of an integrated and shared methodological process that will provide comparable, valid and reliable physical activity and sport participation data across EU Member States. This will support Member States, the European Commission, the WHO and other relevant organizations in the design, promotion, implementation and surveillance of effective, evidence-based HEPA and sport policies and strategies across Europe and different governance levels.
In order to reach the aim of the project, the following five main objectives have been defined;
I – To establish a monitoring framework to assess sedentary behavior patterns, PA and sport participation in EU MS.
II – To compare commonly used questionnaires for physical activity (PA) surveillance, such as the Global Physical Activity Questionnaire (GPAQ), International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) and the Eurobarometer, as well as national PA questionnaires, where applicable, with each other and with objective accelerometer data in a validation study using representative samples from EU partner countries.
III – To analyze and compare sedentary behavior patterns and PA and sport participation prevalence rates across European MS based on the results obtained in the validation study.
IV – To develop a toolkit to build and reinforce Member State’s capacity to monitor, analyze and compare sedentary behavior patterns, PA and sport participation prevalence data.
V – To support the development of the PA section of the WHO’s European Health Information Gateway database, aligning it with the EU HEPA monitoring framework.
The main deliverables of the project are the following;
- A literature review to identify currently used questionnaires to monitor PA and sport participation in EU Member States
- Identification of an EU monitoring framework
- Data on PA, sport prevalence and sedentary behavior in EU Member States
- General report on methods used in the data collection
- National reports on the implementation of the monitoring system
- Report on the results of the study to validate monitoring tools
- International scientific publication and individual country publications regarding main findings of the project
- Development of a toolkit for monitoring PA, sport participation and sedentary behaviors
- Integration of data in WHO’s European Health Information Gateway database
Progress and milestones of the project will be shared on this website, as well as on the project’s social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Youtube. Furthermore a main conference will be held in October 2019 in Lisbon, Portugal, to present the final results of the EUPASMOS.